Franktown history manuscript, 1992.001.0015
"Franktown" is a typewritten manuscript by an unknown author, existing in two versions (short and long) with added corrections and marginalia. The article relates the early history of the area, from the discovery of gold and the arrival of prospectors to 1933 when the Castlewood Canyon Dam burst. It describes how Frankstown (as it was originally known) got its name, how the town grew over the years, fighting between the settlers and the Indians, the establishment of the Fonder School, the Pikes Peak Grange, and how the county seat moved from Franktown to Castle Rock. It ends with a brief account of the construction and destruction of the Castlewood Canyon Dam. (The manuscript contains factual errors regarding the Fonder School and the county courthouse.)
Douglas County Historical Society.